Impromptu Counseling
Ok just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and listen. We're going to go through a counseling session. Don't worry, I'm not gonna charge you for this consultation...this time.
Impromptu counseling is probably the cheesiest of all the impromptu variations. It's a "Dear Abby" style letter and response. For those of you who have been blessed with the good fortune not to know what Dear Abby is, I shall explain. It's basically a column in the newspaper where people can write in to Abby with their troubles and woes and she will give them advice. Today, you're abby. But unless your name really is Abby, probably don't go by that. And if your name is Abby, probably change it for the time being.
I'm gonna tell you right now, the most important thing you need to win this event is empathy.
"But Ryan, I'm just not really a touchy-feely kinda person."
Well guess what? Today's the day you're gonna be. When you walk in that room you are gonna be the most empathetic, compassionate, and understanding person on the planet. Mother Teresa herself. At the very least pretend to be interested and concerned, it'll be good practice for future parenting.
If you don't empathize with their struggles, you will not seem compassionate and genuine and you will not convince them to take your advice. According to healthpsychology.org, "Empathy is an essential ingredient in the healing process. A therapist's empathy toward their client plays a role in developing the alliance, and its impact on the relationship is crucial."
So now that we are going to be empathetic, here's the prompt:
My name is Sarah and I'm ten years old. I'm from Connecticut. Last month, my father was sent to prison for narcotic abuse. My mother and I had to move in with my grandparents in the city. I miss our big farm with all the animals. Mom says maybe someday we can go back. I hate my new school. The kids are mean and the teacher doesn't understand me. I'm worried that they will find out about my dad. I really want to go home. Please help.
-Sarah
You have three minutes to prepare your five minute response.
Just like before, you need an opener and clincher for your speech
You're gonna want to prepare three to four points to talk about the problem.
I have a few generic ideas that I apply to all my counseling and just taylor them to fit the prompt.
1. I usually suggest that the writer talk to the person they have a problem with before doing anything else. Most of the time that person has no idea they're hurting them.
2. I encourage them to consult some type of professional counselor. The advantage to confiding in a therapist is that they are legally obligated to keep your private business private...as opposed to your friend or neighbor.
Now for this specific example there are a few things I would suggest:
For the opener, something like "Change is hard for everyone, especially children. A lot of times we forget how difficult it is leaving your friends and memories behind and moving to a scary new place with a scary new school. We received a letter tonight from a girl named Sarah with that exact same problem." would work just fine.
Briefly summarize the letter that you received and then move into your advice.
1. Sympathize with Sarah, tell her that it's natural to feel lonely when you move to a new place. Making friends takes time. Then maybe suggest a few ways she can make some friends.
2. Suggest that she talk to her mother about how she's feeling. Chances are the move and adjustment is hard on both of them. Also suggest that they might find an activity to do together for some quality time of bonding.
3. School counselors are available to help children cope with hard circumstances, she and her mother might want to take advantage of the available resources.
4. Remind Sarah that it is natural to worry what others think, but ultimately the most important opinion is her family's. They know her best and love her most. We can't control what everyone thinks of us and we'll drive ourselves crazy worrying about it.
Close with something along the lines of "Sarah, I hope that was helpful, and I really hope everything goes well making some new friends. Just remember to be yourself and give it some time. You'll always have the support of your family. That's all the time we have for now, thank you and goodnight."
Impromptu counseling is probably the cheesiest of all the impromptu variations. It's a "Dear Abby" style letter and response. For those of you who have been blessed with the good fortune not to know what Dear Abby is, I shall explain. It's basically a column in the newspaper where people can write in to Abby with their troubles and woes and she will give them advice. Today, you're abby. But unless your name really is Abby, probably don't go by that. And if your name is Abby, probably change it for the time being.
I'm gonna tell you right now, the most important thing you need to win this event is empathy.
"But Ryan, I'm just not really a touchy-feely kinda person."
Well guess what? Today's the day you're gonna be. When you walk in that room you are gonna be the most empathetic, compassionate, and understanding person on the planet. Mother Teresa herself. At the very least pretend to be interested and concerned, it'll be good practice for future parenting.
If you don't empathize with their struggles, you will not seem compassionate and genuine and you will not convince them to take your advice. According to healthpsychology.org, "Empathy is an essential ingredient in the healing process. A therapist's empathy toward their client plays a role in developing the alliance, and its impact on the relationship is crucial."
So now that we are going to be empathetic, here's the prompt:
My name is Sarah and I'm ten years old. I'm from Connecticut. Last month, my father was sent to prison for narcotic abuse. My mother and I had to move in with my grandparents in the city. I miss our big farm with all the animals. Mom says maybe someday we can go back. I hate my new school. The kids are mean and the teacher doesn't understand me. I'm worried that they will find out about my dad. I really want to go home. Please help.
-Sarah
You have three minutes to prepare your five minute response.
Just like before, you need an opener and clincher for your speech
You're gonna want to prepare three to four points to talk about the problem.
I have a few generic ideas that I apply to all my counseling and just taylor them to fit the prompt.
1. I usually suggest that the writer talk to the person they have a problem with before doing anything else. Most of the time that person has no idea they're hurting them.
2. I encourage them to consult some type of professional counselor. The advantage to confiding in a therapist is that they are legally obligated to keep your private business private...as opposed to your friend or neighbor.
Now for this specific example there are a few things I would suggest:
For the opener, something like "Change is hard for everyone, especially children. A lot of times we forget how difficult it is leaving your friends and memories behind and moving to a scary new place with a scary new school. We received a letter tonight from a girl named Sarah with that exact same problem." would work just fine.
Briefly summarize the letter that you received and then move into your advice.
1. Sympathize with Sarah, tell her that it's natural to feel lonely when you move to a new place. Making friends takes time. Then maybe suggest a few ways she can make some friends.
2. Suggest that she talk to her mother about how she's feeling. Chances are the move and adjustment is hard on both of them. Also suggest that they might find an activity to do together for some quality time of bonding.
3. School counselors are available to help children cope with hard circumstances, she and her mother might want to take advantage of the available resources.
4. Remind Sarah that it is natural to worry what others think, but ultimately the most important opinion is her family's. They know her best and love her most. We can't control what everyone thinks of us and we'll drive ourselves crazy worrying about it.
Close with something along the lines of "Sarah, I hope that was helpful, and I really hope everything goes well making some new friends. Just remember to be yourself and give it some time. You'll always have the support of your family. That's all the time we have for now, thank you and goodnight."
Comments
Post a Comment